In the lower reaches of Wensleydale near the confluence of the rivers Ure and Cover the high fells have disappeared to the north but Witton Fell still stands proud as the last high outpost of the diminishing fells to the south.
Here sits East Witton, a pretty village, built around a long green and surrounded by tree lined meadows with the occasional cornfield. The green and its surrounding cottages have changed little since they were substantially rebuilt by the Earl of Aylesbury, squire of Jervaulx following a catastrophic fire in 1796, this included St. John’s Church which was completed in 1813. Its timelessness being one of the main reasons it was adopted into the National Park. In times past the only water supply for the village was from stand taps on the green with the southernmost being attached to a large glacial boulder which was hauled from a field near Cover Bridge and still remains.
Today, there is a local village pub with an award winning restaurant and a Post Office with a nearby 16th Century pub at Cover Bridge, famous for its real ales and good Yorkshire gammon and eggs. The Dales, The Vales, fells and flatlands, open moors and city streets are all within easy travelling distance.