This pretty village is an historical river crossing on a large meander of the River Ure on the route between Masham and Ripon on the western fringes of the Vale of York. The original bridge, replacing a ferry, was built in 1725 and has since been widened but maintains its original architectural appearance. There are three main areas of settlement to the north of the river with open spaces between them which reach alongside the Ure and the three roads that converge for the river crossing.
The village has a Grade 1 listed monument in the care of English heritage called the Marmion Tower, a 15th century gatehouse with an Oriel window which belonged to the now vanished Manor House, known locally as Tanfield Castle and former home of the Marmion family. The view from the bridge towards the tower is often reproduced in many journals as being one of the most beautiful riverside settlements in the County and probably of England.
An industrious little village with two Grade II public houses, a village shop with post office, a garage, a producer of garden furniture, a furniture maker also selling home furnishings and handmade soap and pamper producer. The surrounding countryside is rolling farmland with verdant, tree lined meadows, glorious cornfields and deciduous woods. Just to the east of the village are the Thornborough Henges, known as the 'Stone Henge of the North' which date from 3500 and 2500BC. There are many local footpaths and riverside walks but the majesty of The Yorkshire Dales with their valleys, hills and moorlands are only a few miles away.